Have you ever scratched your scalp without realizing it? Sometimes, it happened spontaneously, due to irresistible itching sensation in your head had moved your fingers to scratch the scalp. It can be embarrassing in public; it may even worsen the condition of your scalp.
You need to give extra attention whenever you can’t stop the urge of itchy scalp from time to time. Itchy scalp is a condition of health disorder that commonly occur in adults. It probably came from temporary reasons, but it also can reveal the symptoms of other more serious problems.
This condition should be controlled once it felt, since it can be a sign of poor hygiene which provides various kinds of the further condition of such as dandruff or even lice that can be spread when ones scratched their heads in public. Uncomfortable sensations, itchy, irritated, pains that’s perceived complaints, due to itching of the scalp.
What Causes of Itchy Scalp?
Just as any other health concerns, there are also several possible causes of itchy scalp you need to know for the most applicable conditions by reading the following list.
This can be a manifestation of a fungal infection or allergic reaction which leads to the itchy scalp.
This condition often found when one suffers itchy scalp. Dandruff can come in the mild or severe, depending on the source of the ailment that brings on such condition. It can also come from a number of other factors such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis.
Head lice usually affect children, and it causes irritation of the head that leads to the itchy scalp. These parasites feed on the blood while living in the scalp; thus it causes allergic reactions that come from the saliva of the lice resulting in itchy on the scalp.
In all the history of beauty, chemicals have become an important part to get the desired results, but they are also the cause of many skin problems. Shampoos, dyes, gels, conditioners that contain many chemicals can lead to itchy scalp, in case allergic reactions occur due to the use of these hair care products which give adverse side effects.
Well, this is actually a result of the laziness of self-care, especially hair care. Dandruff, environmental dirt, pollutants settled in the scalp and left untreated can leave the scalp itchiness.
The Symptoms of Itchy Scalp
If you find the following symptoms attacking you, you are likely to suffer from such condition.
- White and flaky skin particles that fall from the scalp.
- Bruises, pain in the scalp, puncture on the skin due to the infection which is formed as a result of itching.
- The scalp feels dry and itchy, as well as the hair.
Itchy scalp generally exhibits the similar symptoms; hence you have to know the underlying causes to determine the appropriate treatment to get rid of the itching of the scalp.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Itchy Scalp Effectively
If itchy scalp solely because of the dryness of the scalp, it is sufficient for home remedies to get rid of such condition.
On the contrary, if parasites infect the scalp, you need a more powerful healing agent that you might get from a doctor. Below you can find some home remedies to get rid of the constant itching due to various reasons.
Aloe Vera for Itchy Scalp
Aloe vera is very useful for a variety of medicinal purposes, particularly for skin and hair care. It has antipruritic properties, which helps relieve itching of the scalp. The content of glycoproteins present in aloe vera increases the moisture on the scalp as they act as a lubricant and protective agent.
In addition, aloe vera also has antibacterial and antifungal properties that fight fungi and yeast that cause infections of the scalp.
Not only that, it also removed the dead skin cells, and amino acids of aloe vera encourage the growth of healthy tissue. Thus it provides the clean scalp as well as healthy and strong hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera – sufficiently.
- If you hold the aloe vera leaf, cut it into several pieces and take the extracts of aloe vera gel.
- Spread the fresh gel of aloe vera over your scalp and use your fingers to flatten.
Gently massage your scalp and allow the gel to leave for 15 minutes. Rinse your hair with warm water and wash with mild shampoo afterward.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Itchy Scalp
Apple cider vinegar is very helpful to maintain the pH balance of your scalp; therefore it helps relieve itching and dryness of the scalp. It also works as a natural disinfectant that kills causing fungus dryness of hair and scalp. Whereas, anti-inflammatory properties present in vinegar helps reduce inflammation due to yeast and viruses that cause dry and itchy scalp.
Apple cider vinegar can also work as a natural cleansing agent because the content of acetic acid removes dirt buildup on your scalp. When applied to the scalp, it works as a mild conditioner which is not only opens clogged pores but gives shine on your hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Apple cider vinegar – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar by adding equal amounts of water, and pour into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution to your scalp and spread with the help of a cotton ball. Leave for 20 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Follow this remedy for once a week.
Baking Soda for Itchy Scalp
The buildup of dead skin cells on the scalp can lead to symptoms of itchy scalp. It occurs due to a lack of exfoliation of the scalp. Baking soda, on the other hand, is an excellent exfoliation agent that can help remove residual of dead skin cells, including on the scalp.
Accordingly, it also helps control dandruff due to the activity of fungus on the scalp and alkaline properties present can contribute to maintaining the pH balance of the scalp and draws you away from scalp itch.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking soda – one tablespoon. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Olive oil – one tablespoon.
- Apply olive oil while gently massage of your scalp.
- Make a paste by mixing baking soda and a small amount of water and apply on the scalp evenly.
- Allow the paste permeate on the scalp and wait for 15 minutes and rinse off with cold water afterward.
- For immediate use, mix a glass of water and one tablespoon of baking soda. Apply the mixture on your scalp while provide a minute gentle massage.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash with cold water afterward.
Tea Tree Oil for Itchy Scalp
Tea tree oil has been used as the treatment for dry hair, dandruff and itchy scalp that had lasted for centuries. It has terpinen-4-ol component that provides potent anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Accordingly, it is very effective to kill fungus and bacteria that cause dandruff. In addition, it is also clears clogged in the hair follicles and relieve itchy scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tea tree oil – sufficiently. (ii) Baby shampoo. (iii) Carrier oils – jojoba, olive, coconut or almond.
- Use undiluted tea tree oil if your scalp able to resist it. Apply the oil directly taken from 5-10 drops while gently massaging the scalp.
- For the sensitive skin, mix 10-20 drops of tea tree oil into the ½ cup of baby shampoo.
- Use this shampoo every day until you say goodbye to the itchy scalp.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon carrier oils and two or three drops of tea tree oil.
- Use this oil to massage your scalp evenly. Allow the oil absorbed for one hour and rinse off thoroughly with water followed by shampooing.
Coconut Oil for Itchy Scalp
There are many benefits of coconut oil that ready to be taken for those who cry for help. It can create a barrier that restrains moisture and helps relieve irritation and redness; thus it is an effective way to reduce itchy scalp.
For some people, this oil is a wonder for the hair, because of its antibacterial properties treat infection of the hair follicles and other infections such as ringworm of the scalp which is a primary cause of itching on the scalp. Moreover, coconut oil also soothes itchy scalp due to dandruff, and it is safe to use for the baby as well.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil – sufficiently. (ii) Mild shampoo – sufficiently.
- Wash off your hair with water then take a little coconut oil and rub it on your scalp evenly.
- Allow it to stay at least 30 minutes and wash your hair with a mild shampoo afterward. Follow this process at least three times a week.
- You may also add a teaspoon of coconut oil and mix into your favorite shampoo and use it as you normally would.
Lemon Juice for Itchy Scalp
Lemon juice has excellent antibacterial properties, because it contains low pH that can kill the microbes cause itchy scalp. However though it can relieve itchy scalp or dry hair, one should not apply the lemon juice when the skin is broken or wounded because it can cause stinging.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – sufficiently. (ii) Yogurt – sufficiently.
- Grab a few teaspoons of lemon juice and apply on your scalp thoroughly. Gently massage the scalp and allow it to stay for 5 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with a mild shampoo afterward. You can dilute lemon juice with water prior the treatment, in case you do not suffer from dandruff.
- For a potent concoction, mix three tablespoons of yogurt and 5-10 drops of lemon juice. Mix evenly and apply on your scalp thoroughly.
- Allow the paste to stay for 10 minutes; you can use a shower cap if necessary.
- Wash off your hair with a mild shampoo. Repeat the treatment daily until you can get rid of the symptoms of itchy scalp.
Sesame Oil for Itchy Scalp
Sesame oil is known as lubricity and exceptional healing agent. It is very nourishing, which makes it effectively provides relief from dry hair and scalp itch.
It has sedative properties, in which when it comes to hair follicle damage caused by sun exposure, sesame oil coming to the rescue of your hair and scalp by working as a natural coolant.
It locks moisture from within in which ultimately prevents from dryness. Anti-bacterial properties contained in sesame oil is also very useful to eliminate lice that cause itchy scalp. Therefore there is no reason for you not to include sesame oil in itchy scalp care regimen.
Ingredients you need: (i) Sesame oil – sufficiently. (ii) Hot towel.
- Use this oil to massage your scalp gently for about 10 minutes. Perform this massage before bed to give the best effect.
- Wrap your hair with a hot towel and leave for 10 minutes. Remove the towel and allow the oil to stay overnight to provide optimal moisture.
- Wash off your hair with shampoo in the morning and repeat every day until the itching of the scalp gone.
Onion Juice for Itchy Scalp
Good blood circulation ensures the supply of nutrients can be fulfilled. It is also applicable to the hair, which means that the growth of healthy hair comes from an excellent blood circulation.
Onion juice is very appropriate for this purpose, as natural components present in onion stimulates hair follicles as well cleanse the scalp.
Anti-bacterial properties possessed by onion can relieve the itching of the scalp due to dandruff and its anti-fungal properties also effectively eliminates the problem of the scalp such as ringworm which may lead to severe itchy scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Onion – one or two pieces. (ii) Olive oil – sufficiently.
- Grate the available onions, and extract the juice and take 2-3 tablespoons of the onion juice.
- Apply the juice on the scalp thoroughly; you can mix with a little olive oil to reduce the power of the juice.
- Gently massaging your scalp for a few minutes and allow it to stay for ½ hour.
- Wash off your hair with shampoo and repeat each day for better result.
Note » You may also mix onion juice into the shampoo directly for fast usage, let stand for 15 days and use it as you normally would.
Banana Mask for Itchy Scalp
Eating bananas not only nourish the body internally but more than that it may also be applied effectively to reduce itchy scalp. If dandruff and dryness are the main causes of scalp itch, bananas may come to rescue you from this condition. With the help of avocado, you may create an effective mask for your hair and scalp.
Bananas can condition your hair as well as treat itchy scalp because it has a nourishing and moisturizing properties that help treat inflammation and dandruff cause the itchy scalp. While it is true for avocados as well in which it provide moisture to the hair and scalp, because it has lots of healthy fat content and other nutritional elements. Either banana or avocado brings miracle for your hair and scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Bananas – one or two. (ii) Ripe avocado – one.
- Mash bananas and avocados simultaneously. Mix evenly to form a fine paste.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp thoroughly, or also on the hair if necessary.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes and wash off with water and shampoo afterward.
Honey Mask for Itchy Scalp
Everyone loves honey, it contains many nutrients and enzymes that are essential for the body. It is also a remarkable moisturizing agent that locks moisture wherever you apply it.
It can treat the dryness of the hair and scalp effectively, with no need to worry because the natural antibiotic properties possessed by honey may assured you that it will remove the itchy scalp due to the dryness. Help from the bananas and onions as a mask, may provide extra strength to fight itchy scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Honey – two tablespoons. (ii) Onion juice – two tablespoons. (iii) Banana – one.
- Mash bananas and mix with onion juice and honey into the banana dough.
- Mix evenly and apply the mixture on the scalp thoroughly. Gently massage your scalp and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with water followed by a mild shampoo. Repeat this process two or three times a week until the scalp itching subside.
Witch Hazel for Itchy Scalp
Witch Hazel is a kind of herb that is widely used to relieve itching of the scalp due to excessive use of hair dye and drying daily. Because it works as a natural astringent that soothes the scalp and hair from itching and dryness.
Ingredients you need: (i) Witch hazel – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Make a mixture of one part of Witch Hazel and two parts of water. Mix evenly and apply the mixture on the scalp thoroughly.
- Wait for a few minutes and wash your hair with water, followed by a mild shampoo afterward.
Jojoba Oil for Itchy Scalp
Jojoba oil has a molecular structure that is closest to the natural oil or sebum. It helps to rejuvenate and maintain the moisture of the scalp and prevent dryness and itching.
Ingredients you need: (i) Jojoba oil – sufficiently. (ii) Mild shampoo.
- Take a small amount of jojoba oil and used to massage your scalp thoroughly.
- Leave overnight and cover your head with a towel or shower cap before bed.
- Wash off your hair with a mild shampoo in the morning and followed for once a week.
How to Reduce Itchy Scalp with Several Additional Tips
Preventing the itchy scalp should be done in the first place if you already know the early symptoms of this condition. You may do some additional tips below to meet the objectives.
Use Alcohol Free Products
Comb Your Hair regularly
Change Hair Products Regularly
Cover Your Hair from Sun Exposure
Dry You Hair Appropriately
Keep Your Scalp Free of Lice
Because it increases the potential for dry scalp that leads to the itchy scalp. Avoid shampoo or hair cosmetics that contain chemicals as well.
Combing can improve blood circulation and produce healthy hair as well as keep the scalp clean. It also stimulates the natural oils secreted by the hair follicle to spread evenly on your hair.
You may have a favorite shampoo and has been used for a long time, but did you know that it can lead to a buildup on the scalp? Components in hair care products will not really go away, even if you wash your hair effectively. Change your hair care such as shampoo, conditioner, gel, etc. within a certain time frame to ensure that the buildup on the scalp is not formed.
Exposure to the sun can lead to dryness of the skin, including the scalp that leads to the itchy scalp and other discomforts that you might get. Therefore, cover your head with a hat, umbrella, scarf whenever you go outdoor is strongly recommended.
Dry hair is crucial when it comes to hair care. Dry your hair thoroughly after washing it. Do not tie your wet hair, because it can become a breeding ground for fungus and cause a buildup of residue on the scalp. Dry your hair naturally and avoid rubbing with a towel.
Head lice are the cause of itchy scalp due to poor hygiene of the head. It becomes a breeding ground for lice, because they eat all the residue of the buildup, dead skin cells, and debris. You must eradicate head lice when you see the eggs and lice begin to proliferate in your head, use any measures such as a treatment shampoo and appropriate medication for this condition.
The less severe symptoms of itchy scalp are generally caused by improper cleaning, exfoliation, and washing. Fortunately, you already know the natural ways to get rid of the itchy scalp with home remedies.
However, when you suffer from a severely itchy scalp, and you do not have the ability to deal with this condition, the best way is to consult a doctor for proper treatment. Your doctor will prescribe anti-fungal medications, special shampoos, etc. based on the main cause of your itchy scalp.