You love to brush your hair frequently because you want your styling hair in its nicest way. Giving a gently brushing is a must in getting the best hair styling, but when you brush so much and even touch the scalp, you have seen grimacing, and you realize that there is something wrong with the scalp.
If you encounter this situation, you might be asking what the cause of pain in the scalp in the first place. There are many possibilities behind the boil on the scalp, ranging from infection, irritation, ulcers, scabs and scalp acne.
While the scalp is an awkward spot for the growth of acne, yet bumps in the form of acne is a very common condition. Acne can appear on the scalp, it is similar to the appearance of acne on the face, forehead or other body parts.
Certainly its appearance is very annoying, especially if you frequently interact with the scalp through your hair brushing. The scalp also has pores that have the ability to produce oil (sebum) that secreted on the surface of the scalp, just like the rest of the body.
Meanwhile, if a preexisting bacteria on the scalp mixed with sebum and dead skin cells, they could potentially clogging the pores that lead to pimple outbreaks.
What Causes of Scalp Acne?
This chain of events of scalp acne can vary in terms of the causes. They contribute significantly to the development of acne on the scalp, some of them are;
Hormonal changes, it significantly contributes to scalp acne. During adolescence or menstruation, one can undergo rapid hormonal changes, resulting in acne including ones that appear on the scalp.
Bad environment and lifestyle, some other causes such as allergic reactions, unhealthy diet, pollution, poor hygiene, moist environments and exposure to chemicals also contribute to the scalp acne.
Moreover, stress and fatigue, even the use of a tight cap, excessive scratching of the scalp clearly affect the health of your scalp.
Symptoms of Scalp Acne
Unfortunately, scalp acne is mostly covered by hair, which makes it hard to see and difficult to detect. However, when you have symptoms of discomfort, pain and have difficulty in taking care and brushing hair, or having some hair loss, there is a possibility that you are already afflicted by scalp acne.
Other symptoms that you need to be aware of is itching and inflammation of the scalp. They may lead to folliculitis (infection due to staphylococcus bacteria) if left untreated properly.
Acne on the scalp can be a painful task, because its presence can be more painful and tender than acne on other parts of the body.
It may disappear on its own, within a week or so without involving any treatment. But if you cannot bear with the pain, you may perform some specific regimens in treating scalp acne.
Home Remedies for Treating Scalp Acne Overnight
Now we already know the reasons why a person may develop scalp acne, along with the accompanying symptoms. If you have this situation, surely you require the proper treatments to get rid of scalp acne.
There are some effective home remedies to help speed up the healing process of scalp acne; you will also need to implement the proper scalp hygiene to keep acne at bay and avoid any situations which allow acne to grow.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great cleaning agent to liberate the hair follicles of bacteria and oils that cause acne. It also helps maintain the pH balance of the scalp that inhibits the growth of bacteria and prevents further acne breakouts.
Hence, Apple cider vinegar is very effective in combating scalp acne, thanks to antibacterial and antiseptic properties present in this vinegar.
Ingredients you need: (i) Apple cider vinegar – sufficiently. (ii) Lukewarm water – sufficiently.
- Make a solution of apple cider vinegar and lukewarm water in the equal amount, use this solution to rinsing your hair.
- Allow it to stay for about 7 minutes and rinse off with water afterwards. Repeat this process every time you have a shampooing.
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink twice a day regularly.
Note » Never apply undiluted apple cider vinegar on your head, as it may too strong over your scalp.
Honey for Scalp Acne
The only reason why raw honey is very good for acne due to the antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties present in honey can inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause acne prone skin.
You can also add cinnamon, as it has anti-inflammatory properties that are useful for pimples. They work effective to reduce redness and relieve pain due to acne.
Ingredients you need: (i) Raw honey – sufficiently. (ii) Cinnamon powder – sufficiently.
- Take a bit of honey and apply it on the affected area, leave for 10 minutes and rinse off with warm water. Follow for two times a day for several days.
- You can also mix two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of cinnamon. Mix evenly and apply on the affected area.
- Leave for at least 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water afterwards, follow this treatment once a day for several days.
Garlic for Scalp Acne
Almost every family store some garlic in their kitchen, and it is a distinct advantage when it comes to the treatment of scalp acne.
It is rich in antibacterial and antioxidant properties which are very suitable for treating acne due to bacterial infection. In addition, it works effectively as an antiseptic which helps to reduce inflammation and pain, as well as accelerate the healing process.
Ingredients you need: (i) Garlic – six cloves. (ii) Water – three glasses.
- You may crush a clove of garlic, rub on the affected area directly. You may also apply garlic oil instead and repeat two or three times a day.
- Alternatively, put 4-6 cloves of peeled garlic into three cups of boiling water. Allow it to cool down.
- Use the water to rinse your hair, leave for 10 minutes and rinse again with clean water. Repeat once a day.
- Include your diet with a few cloves of garlic for preventive measures.
Tea Tree Oil for Scalp Acne
This essential oil is very potent in treating various symptoms of skin disorders, including acne prone skin. Tea tree oil has anti-fungal properties, and work effectively as an antiseptic that opens clogged pores and combat dandruff. It also helps reduce redness, pain, and itching due to skin breakouts.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tea tree oil – sufficiently. (ii) Olive oil – sufficiently. (iii) Coconut oil – sufficiently.
- Dilute 5 drops of tea tree oil into two tablespoons of coconut or olive oil. Apply the oil on your scalp while doing a gentle massage with your fingers.
- Allow the oil to stay for about 1 or 2 hours, and rinse with warm water afterwards. Repeat this process once a day.
- You also may add one or two drops of tea tree oil into each one ounce of shampoo. Use the shampoo to wash your hair and leave for a few minutes before rinsing clean.
- For quick treatment, you may pour a few drops of tea tree oil into a wet cotton wool, then apply on your scalp. Leave for a few hours and rinse with cold water.
Note » Some folks may develop allergic reactions to tea tree oil, therefore always perform a patch test in the first place before application.
Aloe Vera for Scalp Acne
Aloe vera is well known to treat and cure all kinds of complaints related to skin disorders. It is also effective in removing acne on the scalp.
Some medicinal properties such as antibacterial, anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antiseptic, helps inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause acne, reduce inflammation, prevent infection, keep the pH balance of the scalp and accelerate the healing process.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera gel – sufficiently. (ii) Lemon juice – ½ of lemon.
- Cut aloe vera leaf in half and rub the gel into the affected areas on your scalp. Perform this method twice a day for several days.
- You can also mix the lemon juice of ½ lemon, plus ½ cup aloe vera gel. Stir well and apply on the scalp and hair, focusing on the affected area.
- Allow it to stay for about 30 minutes and rinse with warm water. Follow this process once a day for several days.
Tomato Juice for Scalp Acne
Tomatoes turned out to be effective for treating any disorders on the scalp, one of which is scalp acne. The reason is that the tomatoes are able to control the production of sebum, in which it is one of the causes of acne on the scalp.
It also keeps the pH balance on the scalp, while the salicylic acid present in tomatoes are excellent for treating all types of acne and dry up pimples.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tomato juice – sufficiently. (ii) Lemon juice – a few drops. (iii) Honey – ½ teaspoon.
- Make a cup of tomato juice and apply on your scalp evenly. Leave for at least 10 minutes and rinse with warm water afterwards.
- For more robust potion, mix one tablespoon of tomato juice, ½ tablespoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply the mixture on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Leave for about 5 minutes and rinse with warm water afterwards. Repeat either these remedies once daily for several days.
Turmeric Powder for Scalp Acne
Turmeric contains medicinal properties that are useful for eradicating acne prone skin, one of which is the curcumin compound.
It acts as a powerful antioxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory, all of which are needed to reduce the bumps due to acne, reduce pain and prevent acne scars. With all these reasons, turmeric is also very effective to get rid of scalp acne.
Ingredients you need: (i) Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon. (ii) Coconut oil – extra virgin (sufficiently).
- You can start by making a thick paste of ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Apply the paste on the scalp with acne. Leave for about one hour and shampoo as you normally would.
- You can also buy curcumin tablets, and incorporate it into your diet with your doctor’s advice.
Betel Leaves for Scalp Acne
Many people have used betel leaves to treat any kind of health disorders because the betel leaf is one of Ayurvedic medicine which contains many medicinal properties.
It is loaded with antiseptic and antimicrobial properties which are when applied to the skin; it can help treat acne or other skin disorders. Hence betel leaves are also effective to get rid of scalp acne.
Ingredients you need: (i) Betel leaves – sufficiently. (ii) Castor oil – sufficiently.
- Grab some fresh betel leaves and grind completely to obtain a smooth paste. Put the paste on your scalp, focusing on the affected area.
- Leave for at least 2-3 minutes and rinse thoroughly with water afterwards. You may repeat this process two or three times a day.
- Pour a few drops of castor oil in warm betel leaves, place the leaves over your scalp before bedtime. Wash off the next morning.
- The last choice is to boil two or three betel leaves along with 3 cups of water. Strain the solution and allow it to cool.
- Use the strained water to rinse your hair and scalp regularly, repeat twice a day.
Neem for Scalp Acne
Just like any other home remedies for acne, neem (Indian lilac) is also rich in antiseptic and antibiotic properties which is work efficiently to get rid of acne on the scalp.
It is also effective in reducing the symptoms of itching, pain, and inflammation due to acne. According to research, neem is also effective in alleviating the symptoms of chronic skin disorders such as psoriasis, eczema, ringworm, and warts.
Ingredients you need: (i) Neem leaves – one handful. (ii) Water – two glasses. (iii) Coconut oil – one teaspoon.
- Take a handful of neem leaves and boil them along with two glasses of water. Keep the water and grind the neem leaves to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp, focusing on acne prone area, leave for 30 minutes and rinse with boiled neem water, followed by washing with clean water as a final rinse.
- You can also mix a teaspoon of coconut oil and a few drops of neem oil and apply on the scalp before going to bed. Wash off your hair the next morning.
Additional Useful Tips When it Comes to Scalp Acne
Consider some of the following additional tips when dealing with scalp acne. They are useful for preventing acne or during the treatment of acne on the scalp.
Taking Medicated Shampoo
Avoid Scratching on Your Head
Avoid to Shave Your Head
Protect Your Head
Apply a Healthy Lifestyle
Taking a medicated shampoo which is loaded with selenium sulfide, because it works as an antiseptic to eradicate scalp acne. Alternatively, take a toner containing salicylic acid and rubbing the scalp with the help of a cotton ball.
Scratching the scalp for having acne can cause irritation and lead to a scalp infection, it can aggravate the acne condition and slowing down the healing process.
Just like scratching, shaving the head can potentially increase the incidence of infection of the scalp. Hence, avoid the shaving during scalp acne treatment is essential.
Protect the head from the sun is essential because extreme weather increases the potential for acne on the scalp.
Wear a hat or umbrella when staying in the sun. If you have long hair, it is strongly advised to take a short haircut, to reduce the risk of scalp acne.
Adopting a healthy lifestyle is essential to reduce the risk of pimples. Controlling the level of stress, avoid the spicy and greasy foods, and eating a healthy beverage for detoxification are several important ways to get better health quality.
However, you still need to see a doctor if the scalp acne does not show significant healing. A proper diagnosis is necessary to determine the best treatment for your scalp.