Mouth ulcer is a common condition suffered by most human beings on this planet, it comes from a painful sore and lies mostly inside the mouth, whether on the inner side of the cheeks, gums, tongue and the inside of the lower lip, they all have the potential to suffer from thrush.
Sometimes the pain is very irritating and makes some people to despair and have difficulty in chewing their foods. If you notice through a mirror, thrush can be seen as a form of open wounds with a grayish-white color and surrounded by an inflamed red halo with a burning sensation.
Ulcers in mouth usually occur one at a time or in groups inside the mouth, and they lasts for about a week or more without any treatment involved, indeed all depends on one’s immune system. An individual is likely to feel a tingling and burning sensation inside the mouth, when ulcers in the mouth are about to happen. Thankfully they are not contagious, but there are likely to recur.
The Type of Ulcers
Apparently, ulcer in mouth has different types in clustering, and they are formed due to different reasons as well. Several types of ulcers that you should know about them are.
Minor ulcers are the most common types of ulcers. It dominates 80% of cases of ulcers suffered by most people. It is known as Aphthous Stomatitis medically and generally can last for about a week or ten days.
This type occurs in 10% of cases of ulcers in some people. They are known as large ulcers or Major Aphthous Ulcers. Major ulcers formed of several adjacent ulcers which merge and forming larger ulcers. You can imagine if these ulcers can be very painful.
These ulcers occur as a result of infections with herpes simplex, and they can be extremely painful for those who may be suffering. You might see this ulcers lesions often recur rather than minor or major ulcers, and these ulcers tend to affect women of all ages rather than men.
What Causes of Mouth Ulcers
Several factors may contribute to the onset of canker sores, these mouth ulcer causes are usually associated with bad breath, tonsillitis and inflammation of throat. A few of them are;
- Deficiency of vitamin B12, vitamin C, and iron.
- Stress condition.
- Poor dental hygiene.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Accidental cheek bites.
- Food allergies.
- Hereditary factors.
- Herpes simplex infections.
- Improper digestion.
The mouth ulcer is generally not a serious condition and can go away after a week or more. However, for large ulcers or Herpetiform still takes a longer time to heal. You may come up with mouth ulcer home remedy to speed up the healing process and relieve the pain as a result of mouth ulcers.
Natural Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
Here is how to get rid of mouth ulcers with benefits of some home remedies in reducing the pain as a result of mouth ulcer, certainly all easily available in your kitchen cupboard and proven to be effective in eradicating mouth ulcer as well.
Almost every housewife have been using coconut milk in their daily cooking, but apparently, it also contains other highly beneficial to soothe the pain due to mouth ulcers. Thus it is one of the effective cures for the mouth ulcers you probably know for a long time.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut milk – sufficiently. (ii) Coconut oil – a few drops. (iii) Honey – a few spoons.
- You may start by gargling your mouth using fresh coconut milk for three times a day until the mouth ulcer decreases.
- Mix some honey and a tablespoon of fresh coconut milk. Use the mixture to massage the affected area, repeat at least three times a day.
- If you do not have coconut milk, use coconut oil to massage the affected area instead.
- You can drink coconut water for cooling your body and helps the healing process.
Either seeds or coriander leaves, they provide a great benefit to get relief from mouth ulcers. It is one of the Ayurvedic treatment that helps to reduce inflammation in the mouth and pain due to mouth ulcers.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coriander leaves – sufficiently. (ii) Water – one cup.
- Take some coriander leaves and boil along with a cup of water for several minutes. Strain the solution and allow it to cool.
- Use the solution to rinse the mouth and repeat 3-4 times a day for several days.
- You can also boil some coriander seeds instead of leaves and use the liquid to rinse the mouth as previously.
Licorice contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help to reduce the pain as a result of mouth ulcers. It works by establishing a protective coating on the mucous membranes that increases ulcer healing, which eventually heals open lesions in mouth ulcers.
Ingredients you need: (i) Licorice root – sufficiently. (ii) Water – two glasses. (iii) Honey or glycerin – sufficiently.
- You may make mouthwash from some crushed licorice root and place them into two cups of water for two hours.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution, repeat 3 times a day on a regular basis to relieve pain due to mouth ulcers.
- Mix some licorice powder with a little honey or glycerin and apply on the affected area also helps a lot against mouth ulcers.
- You may come up with Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL) mouthwash or chewable tablets for treating mouth ulcers.
Most people love acidic foods and drinks, and they could potentially develop mouth ulcers. Therefore, baking soda or bicarbonate of soda comes to relieve this condition, since baking soda able to neutralize the acids that come from certain foods.
Besides, the baking soda also helps reduce inflammation and eradicate germs and bacteria. However, the use baking soda can cause a burning sensation, so be aware.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking soda – one teaspoon. (ii) Water – some.
- You can place baking soda on the affected area directly for fast relief.
- If you feel the baking soda is too strong, mix one teaspoon of baking soda with a bit of water to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on your mouth ulcers, repeat several times a day regularly.
Aloe Vera Gel
Soothing properties present in aloe vera, provide a great help to relieve the pain as a result of mouth ulcers.
It acts as a natural antiseptic to accelerate the healing process, besides it also contains antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties that close open lesions due to mouth ulcers. Aloe Vera is also effective for curing other oral diseases such as gingivitis, and lichen planus.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera gel – two tablespoons.
- You may consume at least two tablespoons of aloe vera gel to alleviate the problem of mouth ulcers. Repeat every day on a regular basis.
- Alternatively, apply aloe vera gel on your mouth ulcers directly to treat open lesions and reduce the pain.
- Repeat the application as necessary to heal the lesions.
Basil leaves are rich in antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties. It also plays a major role in the healing process of open lesion due to mouth ulcers. Basil leaves also help reduce bad breath caused by ulcers.
Ingredients you need: (i) Basil leaves – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Prepare some basil leaves and wash them thoroughly with water afterwards.
- Chew them for a few minutes, and drink water afterwards may help overcome the problem of canker sores.
- You may also conduct a gargle with basil tea to relieve from mouth ulcers
- Follow this process twice a day for a few days until you get relief from ulcers.
Honey is full of anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties, in addition to, it also able to keep the skin moisture. Therefore, it works efficiently in soothing ulcers and accelerate the healing process from the open lesions in the mouth.
Ingredients you need: (i) Honey – sufficiently. (ii) Cotton swab – clean ones. (iii) Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon.
- Take some honey with the help of a cotton swab and apply on the affected area for fast relief.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder to form a smooth paste. Apply it on your mouth ulcers.
- You can also mix honey and coconut oil and apply in the same way. Repeat several times a day to get rid of them fast.
People use hydrogen peroxide to resolve their acne problem, because of it contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, it also works as a natural disinfectant. Apparently, these medicinal properties are also useful to get rid of mouth ulcers that you may have. Sea salt on the other hand, will work the same way to eradicate the ulcers.
Ingredients you need: (i) Hydrogen peroxide – sufficiently. (ii) Sea salt – sufficiently. (iii) Cotton swab – clean ones.
- You can mix a glass of water and two teaspoons of each of 3% hydrogen peroxide and sea salt. Stir the solution afterwards.
- Use the solution as mouthwash and clean the dirt buildup in the mouth.
- You can also mix 3% hydrogen peroxide and water in the same amount, use a cotton swab to apply over the ulcers.
- Repeat this mouthwash at least once a day and avoid swallowing the solution.
Celery is laden with folic acid and vitamin B6, B2, B1, C which is magnificent for oral health. In addition, it contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that are useful for providing relief from mouth ulcers and give a freshen breath.
Ingredients you need: (i) Celery stalk – sufficiently.
- Grab a fresh the celery stalk and chew it for a few minutes for quick relief from mouth ulcers.
- For getting the best results, do not spit after chewing the celery. Simply keep the pulp in the mouth, especially the affected area for at least 10 minutes.
- Repeat twice a day for a few days or as necessary.
The reason why an ice cube is quite effective as a home remedy for mouth ulcers is that the ice cubes have the ability to numb the, pain due to canker sores.
When applied to the affected area, it will reduce some of the symptoms accompany such as burning and tingling sensation that usually appear on shallow ulcers.
Ingredients you need: (i) Ice cubes – sufficiently.
- Grab a chunk of ice cubes and put it on the open lesions of mouth ulcers.
- Allow it to stay there for a few minutes to help relieve the painful sensation.
- Repeat the process if needed, or at least twice each day.
For decades, experts have indicated that by taking a tomato, it may overcome the problem of mouth ulcers in short time, it is because those tomatoes contain large amounts of Lycopene which is useful when it comes to ulcers issues. Thus it is very beneficial when you store a tomato in the kitchen drawer.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tomatoes – sufficiently.
- You can make tomato juice and drink it regularly to get rid of canker sores. Repeat three times a day for best results.
- Otherwise, simply apply tomato juice on the affected area. Alternatively, eating raw tomatoes is also a big relief.
Additional Tips When Dealing with Mouth Ulcers
Besides applying home remedies, try to follow some useful tips below to prevent the possibility of developing mouth ulcers in the future.
Apply Balanced Diet
Brush Your Teeth
Avoid Spicy and Hot Foods
Avoid Alcohol or Caffeinated Drinks
Balanced diet can ensure adequate intake of vitamins and minerals needed to prevent mouth ulcers. Remember to increase fluid intake to keep body moisture.
Brush your teeth at least twice a day using a soft brush to prevent ulcers and maintain oral hygiene. Brushing teeth is useful for cleaning teeth and tongue of accumulation of debris that could potentially lead to inflammation.
It is very important to avoid spicy and hot foods, because they can worsen your condition. In exchange, eating comforting foods such as yogurt, ice cream, and mustard is preferable when suffering from or before the mouth ulcers.
Limit the consumption of alcohol and caffeine beverages also assist in the healing of ulcers. Otherwise, their potential to cause ulcers worse because it creates an environment of dry mouth.
However if you notice an extremely painful mouth ulcers and affect your life, especially if you’ve given up with home remedies, then the best way is to go to a doctor for proper treatment.